Monday, August 8, 2011

"Captain America: The First Avenger" Review

Is it a problem for one actor to be playing two different Marvel characters?  According to the movie industry, apparently not.  Chris Evans jumps back into the Marvel world by playing Captain America.  Many might know Chris Evans from his previous Marvel character he starred as: "Johnny Storm" or "The Human Torch" in the "Fantastic Four" movie series.  Other movies you might recognize that star Evans include "Cellular" and "The Losers".  Chris Evans continues to be one of the best upcoming actors of this generation in my opinion.
I realized about a quarter of the way into this movie that it was going to show how Captain America truly became Captain America.  However, SOME scenes about this back story were overdone and went on too long.  More than half of the movie was this back story.  Overall, however, the movie kept me entertained.
All of Marvel Studios' films connecting to "The Avengers", coming out May 2012, has yet to let me down. Like all Marvel Studios' films, the cutting from scene to scene was solid.  The rest of the editing was very well done.  The cinematography was lacking, but it isn't like the movie needed much of it anyway.
Also starring in this film, playing "Johann Schmidt/Red Skull", is the long-lost Hugo Weaving.  I was excited by this casting because I personally think Hugo Weaving is a good actor and I haven't seen him in a movie since "The Wolfman".  He did a splendid job and made an enticing villain.
One of the co-stars of this movie was Haley Atwell who played "Peggy Carter".  She did a smashingly good job and delivered many comedic support lines all throughout the movie.
I always have to give it to Tommy Lee Jones who plays "Col. Chester Phillips".  He's a very respectable actor and I love seeing him.  His age wasn't a factor, he gave a solid performance.
I liked this movie; it served its purpose of entertaining me.  Would I see it again?  I probably would upon release to DVD/Blu-Ray.  I am glad I saw it on the premise of being up-to-date for "The Avengers" movie.  Will we see these heroes even after "The Avengers" films are released?  Only time will tell...
I give this movie two out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment